Monday, December 15, 2014

Chandel No. 21

Am drafting this post while waiting for my phone to charge up since I need it to be at least 70% while I watch Masterchef at the gym so it doesn't die on me halfway while I'm torturing myself on the elliptical machine lol. So today, I'll be talking about my birthday party woohoo!

Like most vain, narcissistic girls my age, turning 21 is the best excuse to throw a party in honour of uh. myself. And nobody can say shit because most people are doing it and if not when you're 21, then when? ok I kid I kid. I was actually not intending to hold any major celebration this year because I thought I was going to spend my 21st birthday in Switzerland, probably with someone I really like. And it was going to be perfect because all that matters is turning a year older with people close to your heart no? So I actually even secured an internship in Switzerland (in school actually) so that I could go ahead with this plan and it was going to be perfect.

But then sometime along the way in May, my dad started sending me pictures of venues in Singapore that he had gone recce-ing on my behalf and he was like kinda making semi-big plans for my birthday, hinting that there was nowhere else I should spend my birthday but in Singapore. At the same time, I started receiving positive replies from hotels in Singapore with regards to my internship. You see, I was aiming for a position with Sales and Marketing departments in Singapore hotels but it was so hard because most internship opportunities lie in the front-of-house arena. So it took me extremely long to even get replies. But then suddenly at that time I got a confirmation from a top local hotel, and another pseudo confirmation from St Regis. So I was really torn, even though I accepted the position in school already. But at the end of the day, what was offered in school was still F&B related and I just didn't see myself in F&B in the long run, so why spend 6 months doing what I saw little future in. And then there was Jeevan there too. Since the initial plan was to do my internship in school and be with him till he graduated in December this year so I could attend his grad ceremony too. So I was left in a serious dilemma. Singapore or Switzerland. Jeevan or my internship. (The whole birthday consideration wasn't really in the equation). But in the end, I chose to follow my passion and came back to Singapore. Told the school it was because I had to be home for my birthday (erm ok..). Till this day, somehow I feel this decision had a crucial part to play in the breakup too because Jeevan probably thought I didn't prioritise him at all in my plans. sigh:/

So anyway, after I made the decision to come home, I started reaching out to a lot of venues via email while I was still in Singapore. Went on wearespaces.com. At the same time, I was constantly blog hopping and looking at how people did their 21st parties. A lot of people had them in cafes and I was actually quite big on that idea too. Like I could rent the entire space and have food catered too. Then one day, I chanced upon Saybons' website and found that they did catering services too (like live crepe stations) And seeing to how I really love Saybons crepes and soup, I really wanted to incorporate it in my party. That was how I decided on a theme then. Parisian Chic lol. Yep I actually created a theme just to match Saybons. But alas, I couldn't find a suitable venue that would allow me to have just their space and bring in my own catering from Saybons. For a while, I even contemplated holding my party in my function room downstairs lol. But people who've been to my place would tell me I was crazy then because my function room is tiny. It can probably just fit 15 people at best.

So anyway, while I was still really into my Parisian Chic theme and the possibility of having crepes at my party and French cafe style buntings and deco, I decided to turn to hotels since maybe they would be able to make decent crepes (as opposed to most cafes I got in touch with). At the same time, I was on Pinterest trying to get inspiration and one day, I got linked to a page with Chanel style party decorations and it just hit me. what was I thinking the whole time!! Of course it had to be Chanel! I love my LBDs and I love pearls! I even went as Audrey Hepburn to prom. The theme was so me. (Plus my name is so similar to Chanel lol). I had to have that theme and from what I saw, nobody I was acquainted with had a Chanel themed party la. Most people did Mermaid, Princess, Pastel, Floral etc. So yep I went Chanel.

The classy theme went well with the hotel function rooms that I was looking at. So just nice I guess. Anyway, while still in Switzerland, I also emailed like a gazillion hotels, asking for quotations. I even made an excel sheet and colour coded it all. Like this:



That was ALOT of hotels I emailed hahaha. And it's all categorised in order of price and meal type ok. So thank you Les Roches for those pointless Excel lessons. 

So anyway, the moment I came back to Singapore, I started liaising with hotels I shortlisted more closely and went on site inspections. T'was quite fun actually. Being shown around the function rooms and ballrooms and reading their menus lol. In the end, I settled on The Grand Hyatt because it looked the best, was within my budget and apparently served great food. The only issue I had was that the design of the place was a little too woody and homey for my theme. But I could fix that with my own deco.

After settling the venue and signing the contract in July, I began conceptualising more on my theme and the visuals. Pinterest became my best friend and I was actually quite inspired. Was thinking of ordering stuff from Taobao and all. Like there was an entire week in September when Debby wasn't around at work. So I spent half the time scrolling through Taobao and thinking of what to order. But in the end, I chose not to and turned to trusty old Ikea instead. hahaha I didn't want to risk buying super cheap stuff from China and end up regretting because the quality would presumably be not too good. 

At the same time, the broke up happened. So if you referred to a few paragraphs above where I talked about the (non) relation between my birthday party, my internship decision and my relationship with Jeevan, and thought I was being irrelevant, here's why I mentioned it. Although in my mind, I knew this birthday party had little to do with my decision to come home and my subsequent breakup, I had to find something to blame my misery on. I had to find something to justify the pain I was going through. So I came up with the excuse to myself that it was because of this birthday party that made me want to come home and led to the breakup. Hence, in order to make the breakup and my pain worth it, I had to make this party work. I had to answer to myself lol. Very drama hor. But really that was going through my head the whole time. 

So after signing the contract with Grand Hyatt in July, it was all quiet from their side till October when they started liaising with me again for more concrete planning and details. This was when I began sharing with them what my theme and vision was. I went down another time to look at the venue properly. Ok I think this was a little kiasu of me but hello I had to make it perfect. Plus I was spending money! So gotta make it worth every penny. My Catering Sales in charge Nurizan was very kind to take me through again and we discussed all my deco and display possibilities. I also decided to be extra and requested to see other stuff like their table cloth, showplates, napkin holders etc. She probably knew I was in this line as well. I mean normal people wouldn't know all these if they weren't told about it right. But I think I should have confirmed the venue and signed the contract only after starting my internship  because then I would know what to bargain for:P like party favours, or menu tasting sessions. oh well:/ It's ok I'll be smarter come party planning part 2 during my wedding or maybe my sister's 21st. whichever comes first. Eh maybe it'll come at the same time! Because when she's 21, I'll be 29! Oh so exciting! ok why am I thinking about this pfft. 

The real effort on my part started in November when I started making my decoration. Actually, it wasn't that much also. I just personalised my glass candle holders, then inserted vintage Chanel photographs into my black Ikea photo frames. I made food tags too. But we didn't use it on the day because it seemed unsuitable. Oh well. The ones Hyatt made fit the theme too. So I was fine with that. Then the rest of the things were displays from my personal collection. Pictures later! I also borrowed black table cloths from St Regis lol and they were so kind to loan it to me. So yay! Nearer to my party, Clarabelle also started making some decorations for me. And photobooth props because she was very adamant on getting a DIY photobooth done. I also bought balloons the week before. And that was pretty much it. The rest of the deco was from Grand Hyatt! 

About 2 months before the party, I created an FB event and uploaded my invitation photographs. 


Pretty or not!! All the props came from my bedroom and I just randomly put them together: Featuring, my potpourri bowl, Clarabelle's ring holder and my accessories! Photographed it on my bay window. Love how everything goes so well with the marble top. Photo editing credits: Photowonder hahah


I actually downloaded the Chanel font to make this. And I think my aunt was actually taken in by this lol. She thought this was a perfume ad and ignored my mum's invitation whatsapp message for 2 days before realising (that's what she said la ahha. maybe she just didn't want to come fml)


And this design was adapted from something similar I saw on Pinterest. I love how simple yet classy it looks. Also didn't take me a lot of effort since I created it all on Microsoft Word. 

A few days prior to my party, I was asked if I wanted to send in a digital signage for my event. So I was pleasantly surprised that I could personalised my signage and not have the hotel create one for me with their own corporate font and format. So I sent them something and this was how it turned out!


omg I was so touched when I saw this! It was perfect! And this didn't just appear outside my function room (Salon 5&6). It was shown ALL AROUND the hotel. So random people at the lobby and probably at the restaurants would have seen this too. Felt so important having my party broadcasted everywhere! And to have my design and theme flashed across the hotel like that :') 

Anyway so I'm not going to talk much anymore and let the pictures do the talking. (I think). I'm not gonna post the full album here since everything is attainable on fb. Just gonna focus on the deco (and somebody special AHAHAHA)


My pretty cake! And it tasted really good too! I chose Chocolate Fudge and boy did I make the right choice! If you're wondering, I got it from Tintedcheeks!



The function room had 2 long tables, and were separated by the buffet spread. 


A close up of the table even before I placed my own deco. Already so petty right!



Dessert table with really delicious dessert!


The display table - half for my Chanel displays, half for the photobooth props that Belle made for me!




Simple but elegant table setting



My personal collection hahaha! And chanel paper bags gifted to me by the very kind Steph from work. Marcus got me the Kate Middleton style headpiece from Haji Lane! I was supposed to wear it at my party. But uh, I don't think I have enough volume in my hair lol. So I couldn't fasten the head piece properly. 



This was how the mini photobooth looked like! Simple with balloons but I thought it looked good!


With almost everyone who came!


Blabbering a whole lot in my mind while making my birthday wish


With my pretty cake!


This is the ever helpful Shane! He was the banquet manager of the day!


Another picture with him! hahaha he must be thinking, 'omg is this another desperate crazy girl who wants a photo with me. sighpie ok I shall just grant her one photo.'



And one of the pretty vases from the party! The flowers looked so good and the florist managed to get all white flowers (roses and eustomas) with black vases. I love it!


Awkward moment when I didn't know whether or not to sing the birthday song uh for myself 


Another birthday wish photo!


With my parents and family friends (Aunty Melissa and Uncle Richard)



I love how my mum looks so youthful here. Looks like my older sister right!


With Belle's best friend Clarissa and her parents



And my ever supportive family, without whom I would never have been able to pull this party off.

So that's about it. Personally, I felt that the party was a good success and yes, I was able to answer to myself hahaha. Also, my parents overheard relatives saying that, 'Yea of course this party has to be nice la. She's in this line what'. lol that never came across my mind actually. But now that I think about it. Yea! Thank goodness this wasn't a flop! If not, so throw face! So yes, this was my 21st Birthday Party and I'm glad every penny spent was well worth it. Would I do something like that again? Hell yeah! I loved the entire process and really enjoyed visualising and doing my own DIYs. Can't wait for the next time I'll get to do something like that again! Belle's 21st? My parents' 25th anniversary? My wedding? hahah so many possibilities.

Alright then, I shall call it a night. omg it's 12.06 already. Bedtime!

No comments: